Sunday 23 September 2012

Songs of the Days 2

     Yeah, I'm terrible. I missed Song of the Day again yesterday. My excuse? I was at a friend's bachelor party. Although that doesn't excuse me for not doing it during the day, but whatever. The long and the short of it is that you get two songs today. I don't really have a connecting theme in mind, just a couple of songs for you to rock.



     Song one is by a band called Unearth, who you've probably heard of. Unearth have often come to mind before as candidates for a Song of the Day, but I've always been reluctant to pick them. I'm not really sure why. It's not that Unearth aren't capable of writing a good song, because they are. They're just the kind of band that has, as I like to say, found their sound. By this point in their career, a new Unearth record basically brings more of the same, for good and ill, with few surprises. But don't get me wrong, they write a solid metal/metalcore song, and if you've never heard them before, they're certainly worth a listen. For just such a listen, check out today's first song "Arise the War Cry" From Unearth's most recent album, 2011's Darkness in the Light. It's a good example of where Unearth's sound is at right now, and whether they're something you'd like to investigate further.



     Your second song today is a shift of gears, to say the least, from straight-forward, riff-tastic metalcore to grand, proggy epictude. Yeah, epictude isn't word, and it isn't particularly descriptive, but I don't really know how to categorize Storm Corrosion, the brainchild of Opeth's Mikael Akerfeldt and Porcupine Tree's Steve Wilson. I could wax lyrical about the cinematic and majestic qualities of Storm Corrosion's ambitious self-titled debut, but it'd be better for you to just listen to them. Your other song today is the first single released from the aforementioned album, "Drag Ropes". Give Storm Corrosion a chance, and you might find yourself hungry for more.


No comments:

Post a Comment