Sunday 15 February 2015

Alice in Chains - Over Now

     Well, it's over now. Today's the last day of the first Loud Noises Unplugged week, a week of acoustic versions of some songs by some bands I dig, some well-known and others not so much, and I would probably be remiss if I didn't include a cut from one of MTV's classic Unplugged concerts back in the day.

     But rather than go with the obvious (and, in my opinion, somewhat overrated) choice of a Nirvana track, I'm taking the "metalhead elitist" route and picking a song by what we all know was the better band, musically speaking at least. Nirvana fans may direct their defensive vitriol at the comments section below.

     While they're busy doing that, the rest of you get to listen to "Over Now" by Alice in Chains, originally recorded for the band's 1995 self-titled third LP but heard here as recorded for the 1996 MTV Unplugged live album. "Over Now" has long been one of my favourite cuts from the Unplugged record, it's a haunting coda to Layne's time with the band, and it's a thematically fitting end to a week of acoustic-flavoured posts. If you can think of a song I should have chosen instead, I'd love to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment