Monday 1 October 2012

Song of the Day: The Faceless - Autotheism: Movements I, II, III

     Super buzzed-about tech death metal band The Faceless released their third album, Autotheism, in August, and it's a doozy. I guess I'm well behind the curve on this one, since it came out a month and a half ago, but I've been listening to it a bunch over the last week or so. I liked The Faceless before; Planetary Duality is an opus of sci-fi tech-death goodness, and they played a great set this summer at Heavy TO. But Autotheism has gotten in my brain like some kind of ear-burrowing space slug, thanks in no small part to today's song. Today's songs, actually. What do I mean?



     I'm cheating a bit with today's song. Autotheism opens with a three-part suite of the same name, and since I couldn't decide which one to have you listen to today, you're getting all three. "Create" opens with strings before kicking into a catchy slow-burn riff that carries throughout the song, and even into the next two parts. "Emancipate" moves from tight trem picked riffs to snaky circular ones with ease, and contains a couple of badass guitar solos. "Deconsecrate" features some jazzy sax work courtesy of Sergio "Sexy Sax Man" Flores. Combined, "Autotheism" starts the album with an epic of techdeath that pushes into some proggy territory and sets the tone for the rest of the disc. Check out all three in order and in one sitting for maximum effect.

(I'm only posting part 1, "Create", below. You're on your own for the other two, but I figure you're smart enough to take care of yourselves)


No comments:

Post a Comment