Monday 20 April 2015

Sunday: Atreyu - At Least I Know I'm a Sinner

     Let's see just how divisive a topic metalcore can be, shall we? Your Sunday song is taken from the debut album of one of those love-them-or-hate-them bands that came out of the screamo explosion. I'm talking, of course, about everybody's favourite boy warrior from The Neverending Story, Atreyu.

     I haven't been much of an Atreyu fan for years, but their first two albums... If we'd been listening to vinyl copies of those back in the day, we'd probably have worn out a few. Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses in particular got some pretty heavy rotation for a while there, so that's where we're headed for yesterday's metalcore song.

     The social or religious commentary in "At Least I Know I'm a Sinner" might be a little heavy-handed for some, but for the bunch of us snotty teenagers attending a Catholic high school it was just the right tone. Listening to this album now this track remains one of my favourites, but like I said, metalcore is divisive among metalheads, so obviously feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment