Wednesday 17 December 2014

Tuesday: Arsis - Sightless Wisdom

     We're going back a couple of years for this week's only-a-little-bit-belated Tech Tuesday post, to the album that put one of my favourite technical death metal bands on my musical radar in the first place.

     The classic We Are the Nightmare isn't the first album by Virginia's Arsis, or even the second, but for me personally it has that resonance, and that high-water-mark quality, that give it the feel of a never-to-be-topped debut. James Malone and Company have certainly a kick-ass couple of LPs and an EP since We Are the Nightmare, but nothing's grabbed me quite as hard.

     One of the many reasons We Are the Nightmare refuses to relinquish its grip on me to this very day is your Tech Tuesday track. "Sightless Wisdom" is one of many tracks from Nightmare that demonstrates time and again Malone's gift for crafting fleet-fingered riffs that turn on a dime. Killer melo-tech abounds on this record, but for my money "Sightless Wisdom" is definitely a standout.

No comments:

Post a Comment