Thursday 13 December 2012

Song of the Day: Pomagranate Tiger - New Breed

     Boy, do I have something for you today. If you've been following along at all, you know that among my favourite things when it comes to metal and heavy music are a) progressive, complicated stuff and b) cool instrumental bands. I like progressive, complicated stuff because I find it interesting (and sometimes challenging!) to listen to and because it represents the work of artists with incredible skill and command of their craft. I like finding good instrumental bands because I think it's an interesting exercise to take modern listeners of music on the same journey emotionally and intellectually without any words, as well to hold the listener's interest without the typical focal point of the vocalist. (I say modern listeners as music fans during the time of, say, Mozart, would likely be more used to musical performed without the accompaniment of vocals...but I digress)



     The bottom line is, I'm always intrigued when I come across a band that's doing one or both of these things, and doing them well, and as a proud Canadian I'm that much more stokified when said band is Canadian too. That's why I'm looking forward quite a bit to the forthcoming debut album, entitled Entities, from the bizarrely named Pomagranate Tiger. Don't let the name throw you: these guys have chops to spare. They've been working on Entities for a while now, and have a few studio teaser videos that seriously whet my appetite. And then there's today's song...

     Your song today is "New Breed" by Pomagranate Tiger. I don't know if it's going to be on Entities or not, but I sure hope so, because it's a ten-minute survey course on why I like heavy, progressive music, oscillating repeatedly between beauty and brutality and easily holding one's attention without feeling like it's "lacking" vocals at all. You'll need a good chunk of time to take it all in, but I promise you'll enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment