Tuesday 1 July 2014

Moneen - Are We Really Happy With Who We Are Right Now?

     It's  still Canada Day, which means it's time for your Canada song. As I was pondering what to point you towards for this Canada Day, it occurred to me that it's been far too long since I've sung the praise of Brampton's Moneen. So Happy Canada Day, have some Moneen!

     We used to listen to a ton(ne) of these guys back in The Day. Are We Really Happy With Who We Are Right Now? came out in 2003, right in the butter zone of the formation of my current musical tastes, although it was "Tonight, I'm Gone..." from 2001's The Theory of Harmonial Value that first introduced me to Moneen's high energy, catchy songwriting, and earnest lyrics. Some might well call Moneen "emo", with derisive intent, but I respond that Moneen represents that best of what that genre had/has to offer.

     So on this Canada Day, look forward, into the next year, and ask yourself, "Are We Really Happy With Who We Are Right Now?"

No comments:

Post a Comment