Tuesday 7 October 2014

Xerath - 2053

     Normally I'm not the hugest fan of symphonic metal -- typically too much overwrought 'cinematic' drama and epicness, not enough actual heavy for my taste -- but the Brits in Xerath just might be able to change my mind with their latest album III.

     See, Xerath don't just take some mediocre metal and put an orchestra behind it (or, worse, put some orchestral keyboard samples behind it). Instead, songs like "2053", for which the band has recently released a lyric video, take heavy-ass death metal riffing, prog said riffing up a smidge, and then gloss the whole thing over with just the right amount of symphonic seasoning.

     The result, at least in the case of "2053", is a killer track that had me hitting 'replay' a handful of times when I first heard it. Check it out and see if you've got the same repeat reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment