Friday 10 October 2014

Thursday: Misery Signals - One Day I'll Stay Home

     I know I've bucked the trendiness of Throwback Thursday a few times by doing stuff like Thrashback Thursday, but today I've got a little catching up to do, and to do it I've decided to jump on the interwebz bandwagon and throw it back for my Thursday post, old school.

     Regular readers might remember that I'm a pretty big Misery Signals fan, and have been for a long time, to the point that Misery Signals even has the power to get me to like pop-punk veterans Fall Out Boy... or at least one fourth of pop-punk veterans Fall Out Boy.

     Being in high school, and then at university as an undergrad, in the early 2000's, it was easy (and indeed somewhat fashionable amongst my metalhead friends) to hate on Fall Out Boy. They were big and catchy and everywhere, and they certainly weren't heavy. (Yes, yes, I know the band's got some back-in-the-day connections to the Chicago hardcore scene, doesn't make them any heavier in my book...)

     But they, or at least the aforementioned 1/4 of them, were heavy enough to appear on the 2006 Misery Signals album Mirrors. Specifically, Fall Out Boy singer Patrick Stump had enough of the heavy in him to provide some backing vocals for one of that album's strongest tracks, "One Day I'll Stay Home". Whether or not you like his work with Fall Out Boy, I don't think there's any question that Pat's work on this track fits perfectly. Check it out and maybe have your opinion of Fall Out Boy shifted just a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment