Tuesday 8 July 2014

The Samuel Jackson Five - Electric Crayons

     On a day when I encourage you to listen to more Coheed and Cambria, I can hardly feature something any less progressive or unique for the Song of the Day now can I? I didn't think so either, which is why I've got something a little different for you tonight, all the way from Norway.

     The Samuel Jackson Five play a style of music that's ineffable in the truest sense of the word; any adjectival phrase I try to come up with falls short. Indie prog-pop? Experimental post-rock? Alternative arthouse post-hardcore? Any of those labels could be applied, and I could probably apply a few more, and none of them would give you a proper encapsulation of what The Samuel Jackson Five does.

     So I'm going to start you off with "Electric Crayons" from the band's 2012 self-titled disc tonight because that's where I got started with The Samuel Jackson Five (thanks Heavyblogisheavy!) but I implore you to surf around the band's Soundcloud after you've taken in "Electric Crayons" -- I promise you'll find something that speaks to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment