Friday 11 July 2014

Stimpy Lockjaw - Asteroids

     If we're going to go instrumental and jazzy (a la Trioscapes) then some of the guys in Ever Forthright have a side project that pretty much fits the bill. Don't let the somewhat bizarre name dissuade you -- Stimpy Lockjaw could be your new favourite band.

     The first track the guys in Stimpy Lockjaw have released from their upcoming self-titled debut clocks in at eleven minutes long, but you can trust me when I tell you that the time is well worth it. It does take a little time to really get started, but once it does ramp up that epic duration yields some jazzified drums and piano, some intricate guitar-driven prog, and some straight up shredding.

      "Asteroids" is a little off kilter, a little unsettling, and a little incredible. Eleven minutes sounds daunting, but by the end you'll be enthralled and wishing there was more. Soon, my pretties, soon...

(And yes, I know I said today's song was both instrumental and jazzy, and I know there's vocals at the start of "Asteroids", and then again towards the end, but not a whole lot of them. So it's almost instrumental...)

No comments:

Post a Comment