Saturday 26 January 2013

Song of the Day: The Abner - Chinoiserie Lounge

     Yesterday when I was talking about the annual Basick Records Boxing Week Fire Sale, I said that the albums I've acquired by taking advantage of this sale fall into two basic categories. The source of yesterday's song, British band Aliases, falls into the category of bands I'd long known about and wanted to hear more of. Today we're going to go with something at the other end of the spectrum, namely something I picked up a whim that ended up being kinda cool.



     Your song today is "The Penitent Man Will Pass" from the 2006 EP Chinoiserie Lounge by The Abner, a track that showcases this bands knack for catchy, melodic riffs that've still got some heavy to them. Oh, and the title at least strikes me as an Indiana Jones reference, and The Last Crusade has always been my favourite, so bonus points there.

     I've listened to this disc several times now and I'm pleasantly surprised with something that only cost a couple of dollars. The Abner, unfortunately now defunct, were an interesting mix of metalcore and post-rock/post-hardcore that would definitely be cool to hear more from. Even though that's not going to happen, Chinoiserie Lounge can be had for a song so you should probably head over to the Basick webstore and check it out.... because I can't find it on youtube right now and I'm feeling lazy. So hopefully you can find this, or just buy it, because it's cheap and worth a listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment