Monday 16 September 2013

Song of the Day: Haken - Cockroach King

     Most of the time, when I pick the daily song, the choice is based on the music first. It's either a song I know to be awesome, or one I've been told is awesome by someone else that I have subsequently confirmed is awesome.



     Rarely is the video the main draw, the foot in the door, so to speak. But when I read about today's song over on Heavyblog, the hook that got me to listen to what turned out to be a really cool, sinister-sounding prog-rock song by British band Haken was the video and its use of puppets.

     As a purist, I won't call them full on Muppets since they're not Jim Henson (as far as I know), but let's call a spade a spade: they're basically Muppets, doing a video that's equal parts homage to and parody of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" video. Let that sink in, and then listen to the song "Cockroach King", if for no other reason than you really should see this video at least once.


No comments:

Post a Comment