Friday 31 August 2012

Song of the Day: As I Lay Dying - Meaning in Tragedy

     My friends and I used to be big fans of As I Lay Dying. We haven't been as enthusiastic about their last couple of albums because they're definitely a band that has "found their sound" and seems content to rest on their admittedly heavy laurels. But their first couple of albums were apparently just what the doctor ordered when they came out, with Shadows Are Security being a real classic, and the album that made the band.



     Your song today is the opening track from the aforementioned disc, "Meaning in Tragedy", and it remains to this day one of my favourite opening songs on an album. It kicks things off with just the right tone, has some cool riffs, shows you how things are going to be, and then doesn't stick around too long. As usual, I recommend you put the whole album on afterwards, but even if you don't listen to this one with an ear towards it filling that very special role on an album.


No comments:

Post a Comment