Sunday 15 June 2014

CHON - Puddle

     When I said yesterday that things were going to get proggy, I meant it. I'm going to chill your Sunday song out a bit though, and go with something from San Diego (mostly) instrumental act CHON.

     I could really go with anything from CHON's catalogue here and be relatively sure I was pointing you towards something cool, but since the boys recently did a session at the Audiotree studios I think it would be only fitting to wow you with an example of their virtuosic performance in a live setting.

     What better place to start, then, than the start? "Puddle" is a track originally from the band's 2013 EP Newborn Sun, but here it's the phenomenal opening salvo to a truly impressive set. Nimble-fingered, serpentine guitar lines and high-energy drumming are vaguely reminiscent of The Fall of Troy, and yet technically transcend even the lofty heights set by that  seminal post-hardcore outfit.

     All that technical prowess is mixed with laid-back grooves and a very chill feel to produce something that's not pretentious in its musicianship. This is another occasion where I'll say that if you're at all into instrumental music, you owe it to yourself to discover CHON. I guarantee you'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment