Wednesday 16 December 2015

Tuesday: Arsis - Martyred or Mourning

     It's been a while since I've gone back to make favourite Tech Tuesday well, so let's all pull up a bucket and quench our thirst for technical death metal with a cut from one of the genre's current greats. New album in 2016 maybe? Fingers crossed!

     I've been an Arsis fan since 2008's We Are the Nightmare shredded its way into my heart and showed me that fast and ferocious death metal could still be super heavy on melody and *gasp* hooks. It may sound like an oxymoron, but if ever there was a "radio friendly" tech-death band, it's Arsis.

     I don't know if I'd put today's song "Martyred or Mourning", from 2013's Unwelcome, on the radio playlist; I'll leave that up to you to decide. I will, however, say that this one's a great example of how tight and precise Arsis' riffing can be -- rhythm or lead, doesn't matter, James and the guys are always on point. I have no insider information regarding a new Arsis record (do I ever have insider information?) but with a 2-3 year cycle for the last couple of albums, even I can do the math and figure out it's been long enough since Unwelcome. Like I said, fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment