Tuesday 8 September 2015

Friday: Avenged Sevenfold - I Won't See You Tonight, Pt. 2

     For your belated Flashback Friday post, I'd like you to close your eyes and cast your mind back to a time when Avenged Sevenfold was actually good. Or, if perhaps you've never dug any A7X, cast your mind back to a time when they were better than they are now. Either way, the time you're casting back to is the same: 2003.

     2003 saw the release of Avenged Sevenfold's sophomore album Waking the Fallen, which I still maintain is the band's shreddy metalcore masterpiece. The guys in Avenged have written some good jams since Waking, but this one got me into them in the first place and this one still finds the most space on my playlist to this day.

     The reason for this longevity is that Waking the Fallen has songs like "I Won't See You Tonight, Pt. 2". Don't get me wrong, the first movement of this two parter is a big metal ballad that starts off al little silly and then proceeds to stomp all over the line between badass and cheesy. But the second movement is where the guys show off their spastic shred metal chops in conjunction with the absolutely massive sense of melody they demonstrate all over the record. Love 'em or hate 'em now, I submit to you that Avenged Sevenfold used to be pretty rad.

No comments:

Post a Comment