Sunday 1 December 2013

The Fall of Troy - The Last March of the Ents

     I'd be willing to bet that any music fan worth their salt could, if pressed, come up with an artist or band they feel called it quits before their time. I could probably name at least a couple, but tonight I'm going to go with a band that, in my humble opinion, never got the kind of love they deserved. They're not necessarily everyone's cup of tea, but tonight we're going to mourn the demise of The Fall of Troy.

     I've written about this post-hardcore outfit before, and I've been singing their praises to my friends for like a decade, but all for naught: my best efforts at word-of-mouth promotion have been no more successful at resurrecting The Fall of Troy than they were at keeping the band alive in the first place. Nevertheless I'll keep on trying to sell people on this band, because even to this day I don't think they have the legacy they should. Maybe The Fall of Troy were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, so to speak - noodly guitars, falsetto vocals, and lengthy song titles could well have given people the impression that these guys were just another emo band, when really they're so much more.

     But don't take my word for it. Instead, have at your song for this evening, "The Last March of the Ents" from TFOT's self-titled 2003 debut LP. Why this particular track? Come on now. It's a song about the Ents marching on Isengard, for fuck's sake. The nerd points alone should be enough of a foot in the door, and The Fall of Troy's intensity and energy should take care of the rest. Prepare to become a convert.


No comments:

Post a Comment