Saturday 12 October 2013

The Smiths - How Soon is Now?

     The girlfriend and I finally checked out The World's End this evening, which for the uninitiated is the final installment in the Cornetto trilogy. Now I'm knee deep in Shaun of the Dead, so I think it's pretty clear that I've got British on the brain tonight. Time for some decidedly British music.

     Now I can hear you already -- "you write a metal blog, and your idea of decidedly British is The Smiths?!?!" To which I answer: why the fuck not? Variety is the spice of life and all that, and believe it or not, The Smiths have been a guilty pleasure of mine since I was in high school. Sure, it doesn't get much more emo than Morrisey, but the flip side of that coin is that Morrisey's the OG of wearing his heart on his musical sleeve, something that's not really verboten anymore even in metal.

     So all of you saying the Beatles or the Stones or anybody like that would be a better choice of British tunage for partaking of the Cornetto trilogy can sod right off. I for one will be listening to "How Soon is Now?" and lamenting the fact that I'll (likely) never have the opportunity (misfortune?) to rescue my friends from a zombie apocalypse. Oh well. A guy can dream.


No comments:

Post a Comment