Thursday 16 July 2015

Tuesday: Abyssal - I Am the Alpha and the Omega

     Any self-help book or life coach will tell you that it's good to step out of your comfort zone sometimes, and the older I get the more I believe it. Sure, it's great being right where we know what's what, but sometimes we need to stretch ourselves a bit if we're going to grow. Being a metal fan isn't any different than anything else.

     Take me, as an example. I've got particular metal preferences. Proggy, techy stuff is up my alley. So is thrashy stuff, and lots of different -core variations. Crusty, super blackened stuff, typically not so much. But when we step outside our usual ruts, we can sometime be pleasantly surprised by what we find.

     If we were to be so adventurous, we might find something like Britain's Abyssal and their latest release Antikatastaseis (dig out your LSJ's, Classical scholars). I say "release" because while Antikatastaseis only boasts seven tracks, they're all monsters that clock in at six minutes or better. That says a lot about the kind of epic blackened metal you're getting here, and I could say more, but I think instead it's time to let Abyssal do the talking. So start things off with opening track "I Am the Alpha and the Omega", and see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment