Thursday 4 December 2014

Mapmaker - Automation

     Remember yesterday when I said I wasn't trying to take up all your time with sweet, sweet metal? I guess I was lying, because tonight's relatively brief post is about a song that's anything but.

     Indianapolis' Mapmaker are on the brink of releasing their debut LP Automation, a collection of somewhat djenty flavoured prog. I know, I know, you're done with the d-word. Don't be, though. Don't let it deter you, because there's a take on it for ever palate. Mapmaker's take, as evidenced in the epic twenty-minute album-closing title track "Automation", is respectably proggy death djent.

     Sure, twenty minutes is a long time, and these ambitious young guns could perhaps have trimmed a little fat here and there and saved some running time. But that doesn't diminish what Mapmaker has done with "Automation", and by extension Automation. It may not be absolutely mind-blowing (yet -- there's a lot of potential alongside a lot of existing skill in this band) but it's also more than djust your average djent. See if perhaps it be your flavour of the d-word.

No comments:

Post a Comment