Monday 29 December 2014

Friday: From Autumn to Ashes - The After Dinner Payback

     Let's pretend that Christmas didn't fall on a Thursday this year, and we still get to do a Throwback Thursday song for last week, OK?

     Back when I was just starting my undergrad, my friends and I listened to a lot of emo/screamo-type stuff, stuff that would now politely be called post-hardcore. Although some of it was of course not so great, some of it was really pretty solid, like Long Island's From Autumn to Ashes. We listened to the shit out of their first couple of albums, but your 'Throwback' Friday song for last week was always one of our favourites.

     "The After Dinner Payback" off of From Autumn to Ashes' sophomore disc The Fiction We Live encapsulates the band's whole sound from those early records: harsh vocals juxtaposed with cleans, both atop some furious core riffage. Check it out if you want a window into my early university years.

No comments:

Post a Comment