Thursday 9 October 2014

Wednesday: The Contortionist - Ebb & Flow

     It's been a few weeks since the atmospheric prog djentlemen in The Contortionist released their third album Language, and now that I've had some time to sit with this record I've decided that there's at least another day's worth of song to be featured there.

     Initially, I didn't react as strongly or as positively as I did to the band's last album; I really liked Intrinsic when it came out, so much so that I named it one of my favourite albums of 2012. I was little disappointed to find that Language did hook me quite so instantly or quite so hard. But that's not to say that Language isn't a good record, merely that it's a bit of a grower and not a shower, so to speak.

     For me at least, Language has improved with every play, and I'm liking it more and more as time goes by, thanks in no small part to penultimate track "Ebb & Flow". True to its title, "Ebb & Flow" does a good job of incorporating the potentially disparate heavier and lighter elements that are The Contortionist's stock-in-trade. Have a listen -- if you dig this one chances are Language will grow on you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment