Sunday 19 October 2014

Saturday: Raunchy - Truth Taker

     I'm not normally a big fan of mixing electronic and/or pop influences into my metal or metalcore. Don't get me wrong, those kinds of cocktails can definitely be done right (I like some stuff by The Algorithm, for example) but most of the time that's just not really my cup of tea. Basically, I got into heavy music because I didn't really care for those genres.

     But dammit, sometimes somebody comes along and makes me go, "OK, now that could change my mind". Today (or yesterday...) it's Danish band Raunchy that's got me rethinking my stance on bouncy, bassy choruses with dancey-sounding synths. What is it about their latest single "Truth Taker", from the upcoming Vices.Virtues.Visions., that has me hooked? Some fucking meaty metalcore riffing, that's what.

     It's not really anything I haven't heard before, which is why I'm not completely blown out of the water or anything, but "Truth Taker" has some punchy, heavy riffs that speak directly to that reptilian part of your brain that controls head-banging and foot-tapping. I can picture even the proggiest, most pretentious of metal pedants nod their heads both in time and in approval. If it's enough to warm the cockles of our cynical hearts, it should be enough to get you moving for a few minutes at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment