Tuesday 5 August 2014

Album of the Week: Weerd Science - Friends and Nervous Breakdowns

     I'm going to step outside our collective comfort zone a little bit for this week's Album of the Week, so please bear with me. I promise it'll still be time well spent.

     I like to think I'm pretty musically open-minded, with a broad musical palate, but I quite naturally listen to more of some things than others. Rap and hip-hop tend to be fairly low on my set of playlist priorities, but they are on there, and one of the main reasons why is your Album of the Week this week.

     Regular readers may well have heard me talk about Weerd Science before, and those same regular readers (as well as the generally observant among you) may remember that Weerd Science is in fact the nomme de rhyme for Coheed and Cambria drummer Josh Eppard. You hypothetical readers also might already know that Josh's "dayjob" with Coheed isn't the only reason you should give Weerd Science a listen.

     The main reason you should give Weerd Science a listen is that goddamn, Josh has some flow. I'm no expert on either rap or hip-hop, but that doesn't mean I can't recognize one talented dude when I hear him. And it's not just a "whoah, white boy can rap" thing either (although I happen to think that Josh has the potential to hold his own alongside Mr. Mathers given the chance, if you want to talk white rappers).

     No, it's not novelty or curiosity or flash-in-the-pan, one-hit-wonderism that makes me dig Weerd Science. It's the simple fact that Josh has written some really solid Weerd Science material, a fact that you're going to discover for yourself this week as you listen to Friend and Nervous Breakdowns, the album that introduced me to this whole other side of the drummer from Coheed and Cambria.

No comments:

Post a Comment