Thursday 10 July 2014

Stones on stones on stones...

     Over the past couples of months, Loud Noises has celebrated a couple of fairly substantial milestones that I'd like to take a second to acknowledge before we get so far past them that it would be embarrassing to bring them up. This acknowledgement may be for my own gratification more than anything else, but then isn't the whole blog kinda like that anyway? Here we go!



     First up, in early May Loud Noises turned two years old. When I started I don't know if I thought I'd still be at this two years on, but I feel like I've got more momentum now than I've ever had, so for the time being we're just going to keep right on trucking.

     The corollary to the above is that as of the fifth of July, the Song of the Day segment is also two years old. I'm proud to say that I've featured a new song just about every day (even if I sometimes fall behind and have to play catch-up) for the past two years, with no repeats. I'm well past 700 total posts, and the vast majority of those are Songs of the Day, which I hope have succeeded in turning at least some of you out there on to something you wouldn't otherwise have heard.

     Lastly, earlier this spring Loud Noises finally cracked 10,000 page views. Now, that might not seem like that big a number, especially when you spread it out over the two-year life of the blog, but for a long time in the early going the average number of daily views was in the single digits, if that. I know that looking solely at page view numbers isn't the best measure of actual site traffic (there's the questions of how many views are actual people and not bots, to name just one problem with using page views as a metric) but it's still gratifying to think that such a number might represent even a rough estimate of actual Loud Noises traffic.

     The bottom line of this post is that, after two years of work, Loud Noises is finally starting to feel "established", in a sense.  I don't know if I really had any idea where I wanted to go with things when I started this, and I still don't know exactly where this is headed, but I've got a bit better idea now, and a much better handle on how to get there. So let's you and I make a deal, potentially purely hypothetical reader: let's call the last two years of Loud Noises a foundation, and let's see what we can build from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment