Friday 30 May 2014

Septicflesh - Prototype

     I've never been a particularly huge fan of symphonic metal of any stripe. Metallica's S&M is one of the only such record's I've ever really dug, and let's face it, it's not exactly the most "metal" of "symphonic metal" records. But the latest offering from Greek symphonic death metal band Septicflesh might go a long way towards changing my mind on this subgenre.

     "Prototype" is at least the second track to be released from the upcoming Titan, and it's thoroughly epic as well as being shot through with orchestral (and even what sounds like some choral elements too!) elements, all without sounding cheesy or cartoony. Big, driving riffs mix brooding melodies with jagged dissonance to end up with something that reminds me of Gojira, if Gojira were tastefully flavoured with strings and horns.

     I still don't know that I'm going to be listening to a lot of Nightwish or Sonata Arctica in the near future, but I'll definitely be checking out some more Septicflesh. If any of the above sounds cool to you, I suggest you do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment