Thursday 13 February 2014

Ethersens - To Live is To Forget

     We call things "post-hardcore" to broadly connote that in some way they've been influenced by the impact of of hardcore, perhaps even moved beyond it. Ditto for "post-metal". But has anybody ever heard of "post-alt-rock"? Yeah, didn't think so.

     Maybe because it's not really a thing? Maybe, but the opening minutes of the epic "To Live is To Forget" from last month's Your Wandering Ghost by France's Ethersens remind me so much of 90's alt-rock and alt-metal that I'd be willing to coin the term.

     If, however, that sounds like the kind of thing that makes you want to click away to some other page as fast as possible, know that Ethersens are not just rehashing anything from the most formative decade of my musical youth. Their big melodic sensibilities are filtered through a proggier, more modern lens. I hear flashes of Alice in Chains and I Mother Earth in "To Live is To Forget", but I'm also getting hints of The Ocean or even Mastodon.

      Ethersens might not be earth-shattering if this kind of sound isn't your cup of tea, but if nothing else, it's certainly tasty enough that Your Wandering Ghost warrants further investigation. Meet me back here when you're done.


No comments:

Post a Comment