Thursday 17 October 2013

Son of Aurelius - Mercy for Today

     Imagine if The Black Dahlia Murder and Arsis made sweet, sweet metal love to each other, and one of them got knocked up, and then nine months later pre-Michael-Keene-show The Faceless acted as midwife for the resulting baby. That baby, my friends, could very well be named Son of Aurelius.

      I came across these guys a few years ago (so long ago that I can't even remember how) but only recently got around to picking up a copy of their 2010 debut LP The Farthest Reaches. I now wish I hadn't forgotten about them for so long, because I could have been singing their praises this whole time. The eleven tracks on The Farthest Reaches are a sampling of some of the tastiest technical melo-death (melodic tech-death?) I've heard in ages that wasn't written by one of the three bands mentioned above.

     You might not feel quite as enamoured with these guys as I am, but I definitely think you'll dig them at least a little. So check out "Mercy for Today", the furious opening salvo from The Farthest Reaches, and discover for yourself what seems like the Internet's best kept metal secret.


No comments:

Post a Comment