Tuesday 1 October 2013

Slipknot - Everything Ends

     Tonight we're kicking-off the couple of formatting changes I talked about earlier today with a song that comes courtesy of the good ol' gods of shuffle.

     Those fickle deities must have known that I needed some energy on my way to work this morning, and the boon they decided to impart upon me works equally well for some aggro-stress relief at the end of the day, too.

     "Everything Ends", from Slipknot's 2001 classic Iowa, strikes me as a big fact musical middle finger to whatever's bothering you. Maybe this is the rebelliousness of youth talking, but given the fact that I was a teenager when this album came out, "Everything Ends" felt like a "fuck you" to everyone and everything in my way.

     I'm sure Corey had something or someone specific in mind when writing lines like "You're wrong, fucked, and overrated/I think I'm going to be sick and it's your fault", but to my younger self it read like a generalized expression of rage and frustration. Emptied of much of the proverbial piss and vinegar of youth, my older self still gets a certain kind of aggressive catharsis from "Everything Ends", and that's why it's your song this evening. Turn it up and bang your head.


No comments:

Post a Comment