Saturday 14 September 2013

Song of the Day: Felix Martin - Triangle Tune

     If guitar prog nerdery turns you off, you probably shouldn't listen to today's song. Also beware if wacky instruments aren't your thing. You've been warned.



     I've heard about/read about the guitar playing of Felix Martin before, but I was kinda on the fence about it. On the one hand, he's amazingly talented and has mastered a unique and no doubt challenging instrument. On the other, I was always one of those people who thought seven string guitars were somewhat unnecessary when they got big in the late nineties and early naughts, and I don't know how to feel about the rise of eight-, nine- and more- stringed guitars, so fourteen strings?

     I mean don't get me wrong, there's oodles of players out there doing incredible things with those extra strings, but I've always thought that you don't need anything more than six to melt faces. Felix Martin's latest release, a track called "Triangle Tune" from his forthcoming The Scenic Album begs to differ with me. Between Felix's fretboard acrobatics and the Chapman Stick wizardry of guest musician Nathan Navarro, "Triangle Tune" remains interesting for the full seven minutes without being mere guitar wankery.

      So like I said, if guitar prog nerdery turns you off, perhaps you're out of luck for today. If it turns you on, check "Triangle Tune" out right this minute.


No comments:

Post a Comment