Monday 13 May 2013

Song of the Day: The Ocean - Mesopelagic: Into the Uncanny

       When I was picking up my copy of the new Arsis album Unwelcome a week or two ago, I also happened to grab a copy of the newest album from German band The Ocean, and boy am I glad I did.



     I'd heard of The Ocean before, and they were on my long list of bands to have a closer look at, but I just hadn't gotten around to it yet. So when I saw their new disc Pelagial sitting near Unwelcome I thought, why not? Turns out, Pelagial at least is right up my alley.

     A concept record about moving from the surface of the ocean down to the depths, one track at a time, Pelagial has just about everything I'm looking for in a modern metal record. Vocals that are actually good? Check. Cool guitar riffs aplenty? Double check. Bass that does something interesting? Yuppers. Drums that aren't just keeping the beat? Ditto there too.

     I'm struggling to think of a band to name to drop so you'll have some idea of what these guys sound like, which can only be a good thing. So I'm just going to stop trying and instead recommend that you go and check out "Mesopelagic: Into the Uncanny", Pelagial's second track. If it doesn't pique your interest even a little, then there's something sad and dreary about your existence. Yeah. I went there.

PS - I could only find a live version, so if you want to hear what the album version sounds like, go to their Facebook and find a stream yourself, you lazy bastard.


No comments:

Post a Comment