Saturday 18 May 2013

Song of the Day: Cake - Long Line of Cars

     I know, I know, I said I had something planned for yesterday afternoon or evening, and I did. But I got sidetracked. By sleeping. But I'm back at it today, and you will indeed get my little treat this afternoon... right after we deal with our usual business.



     So. Song of the Day time, and since it's a long weekend here in Canada we're going to switch gears a little bit and go with something less intense and more laid back for this afternoon. After all, we Canadians do tend to look on this weekend as the unofficial start of summer. Why not get the good summertime vibes going right off the bat.

     Your song this afternoon is therefore Cake's "Long Line of Cars" from the 2001 album Comfort Eagle. I dig Cake because they're a little weird, a little off-kilter. They're a pop/pop-rock band that a metalhead can listen to and find interesting without feeling embarrassed, or like they're getting into another vapid, soulless pop act. If you'll recall my featuring their cover of Sabbath's "War Pigs" a while back, you'll have in hand the perfect example of Cake's funky quirkiness in action, and I for one am on board for a little more on this long weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment