Monday 8 April 2013

Song of the Day: Shadows Fall - In Effigy

     I've said before (and I'll no doubt say again) that British band Sylosis have taken up the modern thrash banner dropped years ago by Metallica. But it occurred to me today as I was listening to Shadows Fall's Fallout From the War that thrash hasn't just jumped from Metallica to Sylosis with no intermediary steps.



     I would argue that Shadows Fall is one of those intermediary steps, peddling an extra thrashy brand of metal when everybody else was brewing up various tinctures of metalcore. As exhibit A this evening I present to you "In Effigy", the opening track from 2006's Fallout From the War. In particular I would call your attention to Jason Bittner's chorus bass drum patterns, which get faster and heavier with each chorus, going from 8ths to 8th triplets to 16ths (if I still remember my musical theory). It's a tasty track with some of the melodic hallmarks of the best thrashy stuff out there, so get back in some Shadows Fall for me, will you?


No comments:

Post a Comment