Friday 18 January 2013

Song of the Day: Pennywise - Pennywise

     I know I just did a theme week at the first of the year, but yesterday's song inspired me like a lightning bolt direct from the gods, so who am I to object? Let another theme week commence!



     But what theme was inspired by Rufio's "Above Me"? Well, so much of the music I listen to straddles more than one genre, which is the way I like it because I like interesting shit. But some of the stuff I like is firmly one thing, like 100% metal or completely rap. And like I said yesterday, whatever you might say about the rest of Rufio's catalogue, "Above Me" is pretty goddamned punk. Which is your theme for the week: pretty goddamned punk.

     To that end, your song for today was one of my introductions to the world of punk way back in high school: it's Pennywise's "Pennywise" from their 1991 debut album Pennywise. Hey, we should be playing the Pennywise drinking game, eh? Anyways, I don't know a ton of Pennywise, so I can't say it's their best song or anything, but my getting even a little into punk bands like Pennywise and NoFx was a step on the road that lead to me getting into metal, and the quick blast of punky energy that is "Pennywise" was part of that, so I feel it's a good (official) start to Punk Week.


No comments:

Post a Comment