Tuesday 15 January 2013

Song of the Day: The Mountain Goats - Song For Cleomenes

     Another quickie before bed post this evening, and today it's a bit of a weird one. I know it's not at all metal, but it's a little gem whose very existence reaffirms my faith in the world.



     You see, I'm currently very much in the midst of writing a Master's thesis in ancient history about Cicero and his case against Gaius Verres. Pretty fucking boring if you're not a Classics nerd, I know, but maybe today's song will help a little, even if it's not metal. American folk rockers The Mountain Goats wrote a song imparting the (very) rough details of the story of Verres, and the other day I stumbled across it. Like I've said, it's not metal, and it's not even super impressive (for lack of a better word) or anything, not the best song in the world, but the mere fact that somebody out there is nerdy enough to take up the challenge makes me feel all warm and fuzzy in my beard.

     So your folk song for today is "Song for Cleomenes" from The Mountain Goats'  1996 EP Beautiful Rat Sunset. It's a weird little song from a weirdly named little EP by what seems like it might be a weird little band, but sometimes that's what it takes.


No comments:

Post a Comment