Thursday 11 October 2012

Song of the Day: Tool - 46 & 2

     I had a deeply unsettling thought after posting yesterday's Song of the Day. As I said, I pretty much assume that you all know who I was talking about yesterday - A Perfect Circle aren't exactly new or underground. But then I pictured the one metal fan out there in the world who (hypothetically) read yesterday's post and reacted with a hearty "who the fuck is Maynard James Keenan?"  Today's song is for that one poor bastard.



     A Perfect Circle might be Keenan's best side-project, but it's his main band that's made him an enigmatic icon in the world of heavy music. That band of course is Tool, another not-exactly-new-not-exactly-underground band (and one that I've featured in Song of the Day before), but one that will change you with its music, corny and/or trite as this might sound. Tool fans are a die-hard, life-long bunch, and with good reason. The wait might between Tool albums might be interminable, but each one delivers an aural experience that, like I said, will leave you changed.

     As such, there's oh so many Tool songs I could choose for today, but I'm going to break from tradition a little bit and go not with the first Tool song I ever heard but the first Tool song I ever learned to play on guitar. Your song today is "46 & 2" from the 1996 classic Aenima. Have listen and see why I still have trouble with the alternating riffs that start weaving in and out of the bassline at about four minutes in.


No comments:

Post a Comment