Saturday 27 October 2012

Song of the Day: Moneen - Tonight, I'm Gone...

     Today we're going to shift gears a little, given yesterday's foray into quasi-satirical, quite possibly offensive hip-hop. From that we move to Canadian alt-indie rock. Too big a jump for you? Too bad.



     I haven't listened to much Moneen in the last couple of years, partly because I haven't been as into their newer stuff and partly because my tastes have increasingly gravitated towards heavier and heavier stuff, but they were a mainstay of my playlists as an undergrad. I think they stood out because their emo-ish sound was rooted in earnest emotion rather than wrist-cutting teen angst and woe-is-me self loathing. I've seen them live a couple of times, and they always come across a just a group of good guys trying to put on the best, most high energy show they can. Good times.

     True to my usual Loud Noises form, your song today is the first song I ever heard by Moneen, "Tonight, I'm Gone..." from their first full-length album, 2001's The Theory of Harmonial Value. The funny thing about this song though is that I saw the video for it on MuchMusic (I think it might have been The Wedge...bonus points if you remember when The Wedge was on...)  a couple of years before I knew who Moneen was or heard anything else by them. For the longest time, until my friends and I started getting into Moneen, I only knew this one cool song, so that when I later heard this album in its entirety, I was like "oh hey! It's these guys!" Share my excitement with what is quite possibly my favourite Moneen song.

     And by the way, I didn't post the full version of this song, with it's seven or eight minutes of spoken word courtesy of the fictional Dr. Lozlo Pronowski. You're welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment