Thursday 4 October 2012

Song of the Day: High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine

     Today's band put out a new record earlier this year, and while I haven't heard anything from it yet, they're definitely one of those metal bands that I'd like to listen to more of than I do and be more into than I am. I do however have a copy of their previous album, and just in case you don't know them I'm taking a track from that one for today's song.



     That song is "Snake for the Divine", the first song and title track from High on Fire's 2010 LP. It's a big epic intro for a big epic album - High on Fire are masters of big, meat-and-potatoes metal riffs. That might be the reason I'm not all about them: they're not the fastest or the most technical. Don't get me wrong, Matt Pike and company can slay a metal tune with the best of them. But when your recent listening includes The Faceless, Numbers, The Contortionist, and other such weird and wild craziness, it can be hard to get back into some drony stony jam metal. But then again, maybe that's the beauty of High on Fire: milking a few good crunchy, groovy riffs for all they're worth, and then some.

     Maybe I'm just overthinking things. Just rip one and listen to the fucking song already.


No comments:

Post a Comment