Saturday 27 October 2012

Pit Report: Protest the Hero

     As you may be aware (since I told you as much) I saw Protest the Hero play on Monday night, so I thought it might be fun to do a quick little pit report about the show. Enjoy!



     So we didn't end up catching the local acts that were opening for Protest; a delicious dinner of Thai food took precedence. When we did get to the comedy club (!) at which the show was held, I was surprised and pleased to see that even with a sold out crowd we wouldn't have to be packed elbow to asshole with sweaty teenagers. Awesomely, as has been the case with the other shows I've seen at this venue over the years, we were able to stay like 15 to 20 feet back from Luke at all times with nary* a problem.

     Protest has this thing about not playing much if any of their older material. I remember reading once that this is because they were so young when they wrote their first EPs and their debut album that this material no longer reflects who they are. In that sense, I guess I can agree with them, because as an artist you should never be standing still, you should always be pushing yourself and moving your art forward. But as a fan of some of their older stuff, it can be frustrating knowing that you're definitely not going to hear some of those songs. Thankfully Protest seem to have loosened up a bit in this regard, playing 2 or 3 songs off of 2005's Kezia and a couple of tracks from 2008's Fortress in addition to the healthy helping of cuts from last year's Scurrilous. This was especially cool for my girlfriend's sister, who got to see her favourite Protest song ("Turn Soonest to the Sea" off Kezia) played at her first Protest concert. And to top it all off, we all got boss T-shirts. Everybody wins!

     If Protest the Hero happens to show up in your town, I highly recommend checking them out. If you're already a fan, you'll get to see some of your favourites played note-perfect, and if you're not, you just might fall in love with one of Canada's most awesome bands. Either way, like I said, everybody wins.









* I'm sorry, the word "nary" just popped into my head and I went with it, and now I can't bring myself to take it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment