Saturday 11 August 2012

Song of the Day: System of a Down - Soil

     Well kids, Heavy TO is almost here (or if you're going today or for both days, it's here already, you lucky sod!) So I've got one more day of preparatory listening for you to do, and if you've been following along (both with me and with the Heavy line-up) then you should be able to tell me who today's song is by (without looking at the title of this post, smart ass). Give up? Quitter. It's System of a Down.



     I grew up on System of a Down. I was in high school when they were at their biggest, and I can remember how much of an impact Toxicity made on my friends and I when it came out. We played  that shit endlessly, knew all the words, jammed most of the songs, and some of us (unfortunately not myself) even went to see them. I'm sure that listening to System was one of the factors in leading me down the twisted path to metal that I've since traveled. And now I get to make up for not seeing them in their heyday. Solid.

     Your song today is "Soil" from System of a Down's debut self-titled album. I picked this song because a) it used to inspire vigorous singing-along in my friends and I, b) it's got a honest-to-gods guitar solo, and c) evil lives in the motherfucking skin, of course. But in all seriousness, if you were ever into System of a Down at all, do me a favour this weekend and put either this disc or Toxicty on and let it play. Unlike lots of things from our youths, I'm surprised at how well System stands the test of time. I still dig it. You should too.


No comments:

Post a Comment