Monday 6 August 2012

Song of the Day: Slipknot - Disasterpiece

     We're almost done working our way through my favourite bands from day one of this year's Heavy TO festival, but we haven't done the Saturday headliner yet, and they're a big one. I saw Slipknot way back in the day (2001, to be exact) when they were just about to release Iowa, and it's really too bad that they're playing Saturday instead of Sunday, because I'd love to see them again. I guess I'll just have to settle for cranking some Iowa on the way to the show on Sunday.


     Your song for today is "Disasterpiece" from the aforementioned 2001 epic Iowa, still my favourite Slipknot album. There's a bunch of good songs on this album that I could have picked today, but this gets the nod for its clever turn of phrase title and its punishing brutality. From its weird, distinctive intro guitar riff that's mostly harmonics to Corey Taylor's shouted opening line, "I want to slit your throat/and fuck the wound", to the badass bridge/breakdown section starting around the three minute mark to the song's final sound, what seems to be a dropped mic or something similar, "Disasterpiece" just fucking goes. Check it.


No comments:

Post a Comment