Monday 27 August 2012

Song of the Day: Mudvayne - Internal Primates Forever

     Once again it's Monday, time to get back to work and back to metal. Today's one of those days when I just let my playlist's shuffling do the choosing for me*, and I for one think it came up with something good. It's been a while since I've listened to any Mudvayne, but they're another one of those bands that I listened to a ton of in high school and university, back when I was still forging the penchant for metal that I have today. As with anything from one's youth, some bands I listened to back then don't stand up as well as others, but Mudvayne isn't one of them. I haven't heard much off of their last couple of discs, but the ones I've got and used to crank can still hold their own alongside more modern stuff.



     Your song for today is "Internal Primates Forever" from Mudvayne's full length debut, 2000's LD 50. Why this song, and not one of the many other good ones on this album? Why not my usual choice of the song that introduced me to a band (which in this case would be "Dig", also off this album)? I don't know. But that doesn't change the fact that "Internal Primates Forever" is an awesome blast of what Mudvayne was all about at this point in their career: metal, chock full of tight, angular riffs, some phenomenal drumming, and badass basslines that you can actually hear.** All in all, it makes for an album that I can listen to today on its own merits, and not just because of the rose-coloured headphones of nostalgia.










* albeit sometimes with a few clicks and muttered exhortations to give me something better.
** Ryan Martinie is a beast. Just Saying. Although pretty much everybody in this band has moments of beastliness on this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment